Frequently Asked Questions
Review common questions and answers about our franchise below.
The Tax Shop concept was a first in SA and we are currently the largest accounting and tax franchise in Southern Africa. Enjoy the benefits of an established brand, proven business model and the security of being of a successful professional services group. If you are looking to grow your practice then The Tax Shop is for you!
The Tax Shop is a unique franchising opportunity designed for professionals who have strong financial and/or commercial backgrounds and who want to start a new accounting practice or want to expand their existing practice(s).
Our franchise licence fee is R250,000. This fee is reduced if you are an existing practitioner and/or have an existing client base. Financing options are available.
Royalties are charged at 10% of monthly turnover which is standard in the franchise industry. This charge covers the ongoing costs of updating and training franchisees, software enhancements, provision of ongoing support, general administration of the franchise group as well as regional and national marketing. New franchisees are exempt from royalty payments for the first few months of operation.
The up-front licence fee should ideally be paid upfront but can be repaid over time. For this to happen, we need to understand your personal financial position and will then arrange suitable repayment terms for you.
- The right to trade in a zone agreed upon with you – this is set out in our franchise agreement.
- Start-up training at our head office (4 days in Pretoria) with all costs of transport, meals and accommodation included.
- Twelve-month online international marketing course (Pioneering Practice Programme) specifically designed for accountants (valued at R75,000). This course is offered by a world-renowned expert and has proved very successful in helping accountants to drive new business to their practices.
- An initial marketing launch in your area e.g. newspapers adverts, radio, street pole adverts, social events and more (valued at R50,000). The purpose of this is to ignite your franchise locally in a big way and to announce the launch of your practice in your area.
- Advanced marketing strategies for your practice with leads generated from Head Office.
- Initial marketing material in the form of banners, flyers, business cards, corporate folders and brochures designed to kickstart your practice.
- Personal mentoring of your practice including input on marketing strategies and other fundamental aspects of running a Tax Shop.
- Start-up material in the form of instructional guides, handbooks, letterheads, questionnaires checklists and other useful documents.
- Ongoing technical support, training, backup and expertise from top professionals at Head Office and within The Tax Shop group.
- Admission to world-class software which can be accessed from anywhere in the world. These systems enable our franchisees to deliver the best services to their clients.
- Cash benefits in the form of substantial discounts to professional organisations e.g. SAIT, SAIBA, etc. and in many other areas. For example, professional indemnity insurance, which can cost tens
of thousands of rands a year for a single practitioner will only cost a few hundred rands a year with us.
- Increased business opportunities through our business partners.
- Automated services for your clients e.g. monthly newsletter, surveys, etc.
- Unlimited email addresses and fax-to-email numbers plus ongoing software support to ensure that your office runs smoothly.
Franchisees receive so many benefits not available to single practitioners, for example:
- Tap into a proven business model.
- Advanced marketing for your practice.
- Gain access to our franchise’s intellectual property.
- Ongoing an unlimited backup and support from top professionals at Head Office.
- Cutting edge communication and training.
- Best international software systems.
- Increased services and business opportunities through our business partners.
- Massive savings in many areas as a result of our group buying power.
- Increased value to your practice through our brand.
Please submit your CV to us. Once we have approved you as a prospective franchisee, we will send a draft franchise agreement to you for review.
Start-up training takes place at our Head Office in Pretoria and involves all aspects of franchise and practice management. Franchisees who have attended training are equipped to start operating immediately.
There is no cost where a new franchise licence is purchased as the cost of training is included in the up-front licence fee. Where an existing franchise licence fee is purchased, there will be a separate cost for training as such cost would not be included in the licence fee payable to the outgoing franchisee.
The start-up training process includes the accommodation, meals, travel costs and training of one person. Additional people may attend the startup training, but, in such cases, we will communicate any costs for additional attendees.
No deposits are payable. To secure a zone you may pay a Reservation Fee of R10,000 as part of the initial payment towards purchasing a licence for a specific zone or area. This payment is not refundable, but, is used to reduce the cost of the single franchise licence fee.
We refer to areas or locations as ZONES and work on the principle of one shop per population of 100,000 people. This may mean that it is possible to have more than one shop in a zone. For example, if a town or city area has a population of (say) 350,000 people, it may be possible to establish 2 – 3 shops in that zone. We do, however, take into account the economic activity of a zone, the average age of population etc. before making a final consideration about the establishment of additional franchises in any given zone.
You are welcome to operate in your personal name or as a partnership or in a joint venture or company.
We have an open line of communication daily to all our franchisees to answer any queries and to provide guidance and information. Franchisees who have purchased a franchise licence are entitled to unlimited backup and support from top professionals at our Head Office. In addition, we engage in continued training with all franchisees.
- At start-up, we provide immediate marketing material in the form of a banner, flyers, corporate folders and business cards.
- New franchisees are automatically registered for a 12-month international marketing course specifically designed for accountants. This course is offered by a world-renowned expert and has proved very successful in helping accountants to drive new business to their practices.
- New franchisees also qualify for an initial marketing launch in their area – e.g. newspapers adverts, social events, etc. The purpose of this is to ignite the franchisee’s practice locally in a big way and to announce the launch of their practice.
- We advertise nationally and locally. Examples include advertisements in national newspapers and on national radio from time to time.
- We maintain a strong web presence e.g. via Google throughout the year.
- We assist franchisees with local marketing campaigns and also perform related functions such as contacting businesses in a franchisee’s zone to set up meetings for them.
- Business leads are regularly passed on from our Head Office to franchisees.
You are welcome to do so. Please bear in mind that some have only recently started trading, while others may have been relatively inactive for various reasons e.g. ill health. It is best to contact a franchisee who has been active for a reasonable period to gain a more detailed understanding of the business.
It is generally the responsibility of the franchise owner to find a suitable location although we will gladly provide input and advice on the suitability of any locations identified by the franchisee. We are not prescriptive in this regard and some franchisees operate from home while others work from an office environment. However, experience has shown that franchisees who operate from an office generally tend to perform better than those who operate from home.